Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Ask not what Richmond can do for you. Ask what you can do for Richmond.

By Irma Bektic

One of the reasons I joined RPA was because I thought it would provide me with opportunities to give back to the Richmond community. Why was this so important to me? Because I recognize that I owe a lot of my success to the support system and mentors that Richmond has afforded me. RPA’s mission is to foster professionalism, continuing legal education, public service, and networking for paralegals in Central Virginia. I knew that RPA’s strong presence in both the Richmond legal field and throughout the Commonwealth could be used to do a lot of good.  

It was through RPA that I first learned of Richmond Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA). Richmond CASA volunteers are assigned to abuse and/or neglect cases that come before the City of Richmond Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court. CASA volunteers are expected to act as a child’s voice in the courtroom by gathering information and reporting it back to a judge at hearing.  

In the past, RPA members collected school supplies and donated them to Richmond CASA, only one of the several programs affiliated with a local nonprofit organization called Greater Richmond SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now). Presently, our members are collecting snacks at our monthly meetings which will be provided to children and families during their participation in SCAN’s various programs. 

At this point, you may be wondering why I have chosen to share about CASA specifically in this month’s blog post. It is because Richmond CASA recently swore in 13 new volunteers after their completion of the National CASA Training Curriculum! I was honored to be one of the volunteers sworn in on June 18, 2015 by The Honorable Marilynn C. Goss, Chief Judge, Richmond Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court. Although the recent swearing in ceremony is one to be celebrated, it is important to keep in mind that there is still a great need for CASA volunteers. Thus, I encourage you to learn more about Richmond CASA at http://grscan.com/programs/richmond-casa-2/ and share this information with anyone you think may have a passion to become a CASA volunteer.

Like or share this post to spread the word about Richmond CASA!

If you are interested in becoming a CASA volunteer, please reach out to Erin Ortiz, Richmond CASA Volunteer Coordinator, at erin.ortiz@richmondgov.com

Feel free to contact me at irma.bektic@richmond.edu if you are interested in donating snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment